Superman at 75: Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster and the Jewish Roots of the Man of Steel at the Center for Jewish History
- Eric Shapiro
- On January 27, 2013
Did you know Superman was Jewish? Well, not quite, but his creators, comic book giants Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, certainly were, and they imbued the world’s first superhero with more than a little bit of Jewish identity.
On January 27th, the Center for Jewish History hosted an event titled “Superman at 75: Celebrating America’s Most Enduring Hero,” consisting of a presentation by author Larry Tye and a panel discussion/Q&A session with some of the world’s foremost authorities on the Man of Steel.
In his keynote address, Larry Tye, the author of New York Times best seller, Superman: The High-Flying History of America’s Most Enduring Hero, gave an enlightening presentation on the many ways Superman has embodied the American experience since his debut in 1938.
Later, David Weiss, whose father served as Superman artist Joe Shuster’s visual inspiration for Clark Kent and his caped alter ego, took the stage to tell the fascinating story of how one of America’s most recognizable icons ties into his own family legacy.
Finally, a panel of Superman experts including Jim Shooter, Jenette Kahn, Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson Brown and Sam Norich were on hand to discuss various elements of Superman and his cultural impact in the 75 years since his historic first appearance in Detective Comic’s (now known as DC) Action Comics #1. Tye, along with his panel of experts, proceeded to comment on Superman’s obvious (and less obvious) sources of inspiration for his creators — from the biblical story of Moses and Exodus regarding Superman’s escape from Krypton, to the concept of Superman as a “Christ” figure, to the needs of the nerdy creators Siegel and Shuster to imagine “Superman” as their ultimate wish fullfillment as bullied youngsters in Cleveland. All the panelists agreed that the one constant for Superman throughout the years has been that he is the ultimate “good guy”– through all the stylistic incarnations of the Man of Steel, everybody knows that he is on our side!
More details forthcoming!
- 200Hr Yoga Teacher Training - Work Exchange (Flatiron) July 21, 2017Are you looking for the flexibility to design the life that you want? We are now accepting applications for our 200Hr Teacher Training Program, at our studio located at 112 E 23rd Street Suite 200 between Park and Lexington Avenues. DATES: 4 week […]
- Seeking Housekeepers for NeueHouse Madison Square (Flatiron) July 21, 2017NeueHouse is hiring Housekeeping Attendants! About Our Company: NeueHouse is a private, membership-only, co-working space for entrepreneurial creatives. We combine the efficiency of an intelligently designed space with thoughtful service to create […]
- Beautiful fully equipped room for rent in Flatiron (Flatiron) July 21, 2017Hello all! I am looking for an esthetician/ massage therapist/ eyelash extension/ microblading/waxing technician to rent my newly renovated and fully decorated space in a Flatiron wellness center. The space is available for rent Sunday, Monday, Tues […]
- The NoMad - Receiver (Flatiron) July 21, 2017The NoMad , a casually elegant, Michelin-starred restaurant from Chef Daniel Humm and Will Guidara is looking for a Receiver to accept deliveries and maintain the kitchen's storage areas. The ideal candidate has a commitment to excellence and a desir […]
- Modern British Restaurant THE CLOCKTOWER is Hiring FOOD RUNNERS! (Flatiron) July 21, 2017The Clocktower, from Stephen Starr and Chef Jason Atherton , is now hiring Food Runners / Kitchen Servers! We seek FOOD RUNNER candidates with: 1+ years of Kitchen Server / Food Runner experience in a reputable, well-regarded NYC restaurant; Abili […]
- HAIRSTYLIST/COLORIST (Flatiron) July 21, 2017We are looking for a stylist colorist who is very experienced and has an artistic flair. Minimum 7 years experience. Must be a meticulous colorist with knowledge of the latest trends. Must have had training in Precision Cutting. We are looking for […]
- Jean-Georges restaurant ABC Kitchen seeking Experienced Floor Manager (Flatiron) July 21, 2017
- Truck Driver--CDL A or CDL B Licensed Drivers (Flatiron) July 21, 2017Liberty Moving and Storage is a family owned and operated relocation company that has experienced continual growth since our founding in 1939. We are the largest agent for United Van-Lines in the tri-state area. Our standards are high, which makes us […]