People’s Climate March Mobilizes Massive Crowd to Fight Climate Change
- Eric Shapiro
- On September 22, 2014
By Eric Shapiro and the Flatiron Hot! News Editorial Staff
The conventional wisdom was that 100,000 people would participate in the People’s Climate March. The conventional wisdom was wrong. 400,000 people showed up to march in the largest ever event of its kind. The parade, which began at 11:30 AM, ran for 4 miles, beginning at Columbus Circle, working its way through Midtown and ending at the Jacob Javits Center. Some of the attendees were New Yorkers, while others came from around the country to express support for climate action ahead of a UN Climate Summit on September 23rd. The marchers demonstrated that there is an enormous appetite for substantive action to fight climate change. Celebrities and climate change activists showed up to lend their support. 340.org’s Bill McKibben, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jane Goodall and Vandana Shiva were in attendance. Past and present lawmakers including Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and former Vice President Al Gore attended.
Although there was a good deal of anger directed at polluters and deniers, the overall attitude of the parade was upbeat and hopeful. Marchers drew strength and comfort from the energy of like-minded people committed to a common goal. Social media was ablaze with support for the marchers, drowning out the ridicule of cynical naysayers that dismiss the threat of climate change at everyone’s peril. Indeed, there was enough diversity at the parade to send conservatives grasping for their latest voter suppression tactics. With Caucasians, African Americans, Asians, Hispanics, men, women, LGBTs, and feminists, the People’s March was an inclusive affair, just as an event dedicated to preserving the world should be.
- Stock Manager at Whisk NYC (Flatiron) May 25, 2017ABOUT US: Whisk is an independently-owned kitchenware shop selling the best culinary tools a home or professional chef could ever want. From bakeware to barware, cookware to prepware, we have a wide assortment of tools that we adore and our customer […]
- Metropolitan Property Group is looking for agents! Make 150k per year! (Flatiron) May 25, 2017Metropolitan Property Group is a team of over 180 agents working with clients to rent, sell and buy the city's best apartments, co-ops and condos. We are one of the most aggressive brokerage houses in the city and are breaking company records. Curre […]
- Shay & Ivy is hiring! (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Looking for an experienced busser/runner as well as a Maitre'D at Shay & Ivy, a thriving new restaurant in the Flatiron District. Bussers/runners -Barbacking experience a plus -Must be fluent in English **Please come in person for Open Call THIS […]
- Interior Design Job Captain (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Ware Malcomb is hiring an Interior Design Job Captain in our New York City office. The Interior Design Job Captain assists the Project Manager or Architect in the management of multiple interior architecture projects. Candidate must have: […]
- Environmental Graphic Designer (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Ware Malcomb is hiring an Environmental Graphic Designer in our New York City, NY office located in the Flat Iron district. Environmental Graphics Designers are responsible for designing and managing wayfinding, signage, informational display and en […]
- Interior Design Project Manager - Retail (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Ware Malcomb is hiring an Interior Design Project Manager, Retail in our New York City office! Project Managers manage the successful completion of multiple Interior Design projects while providing excellent client service and leadership and guidanc […]
- Cote a Fine Dining Restaurant is looking for AGM (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Cote, a fine dining restaurant in the Flatiron District is looking for an Assistant General Manager/ Events Coordinator to join the team. Requirements: - A minimum of 3+ years in fine dining - A minimum of 3 + years in a Management role - Impecca […]
- Fine Dining Restaurant is looking for General Manager (Flatiron) May 24, 2017New Fine Dining Restaurant in the Manhattan is looking for a General Manager to join the team. Requirements: - A minimum of 3+ years in fine dining - A minimum of 3 + years in a Management role - Impeccable Organizational Skills - Proficient in […]