David Cone, Former Mets and Yankees Star, Talks Baseball & Derek Jeter in Flatiron
- Tod Shapiro
- On October 16, 2014
By Tod Shapiro and the Flatiron Hot! News Editorial Staff
The Flatiron District saw a homecoming by long-time fan favorite David Cone, one of the best pitchers to play for both the Mets and Yankees. He spoke at the Keurig 2.0 Cafe at 915 Broadway where the former Mets-Yankees standout was on hand to help with the roll-out of the Keurig 2.0 Hot Beverage Dispenser. A crowd of over 75 people showed up, and were eager to talk baseball with David, who had opinions on a whole set of baseball topics, to the delight of his fans.
David talked briefly about the challenge of being a broadcaster, and of having to be entertaining, informative and knowledgeable about all aspects of the national pastime. He specifically mentioned Vin Scully and Ralph Kiner as his formative influences. He referred back to his time with the Mets as one of the most exciting of his life and of the challenges of playing baseball in New York, especially for a Kansas City boy from the Midwest. He mentioned the thrill of being managed by Joe Torre (“the best manager I’ve ever played with”) and the quiet poise of the great Derek Jeter. He had some funny stories to tell about Derek Jeter, particularly his antics at one memorable playoff game when David was pitching against him for the Red Sox.
David, responded to a question from yours truly about the current crop of young Mets pitchers and their relative talents compared to Gooden, Darling, Fernandez and Cone. He insisted that Matt Harvey had talent that was on par with any of them and he was excited about the prospects of a rehabilitated, convalescent Harvey teaming with Rookie of the Year candidate Jacob DeGrom, Zack Wheeler and the highly-touted Noah Syndegaard. He also offered his input about why young pitchers such as Harvey and his peers seem to have so much trouble staying healthy.
All in all, a fun 45 minutes or so of baseball and PR right in the Flatiron District, as our neighborhood continues to be a mecca for PR and advertising for many product roll-outs. Thank you David Cone, and good luck to Keurig 2.0!
Here is a quick Flatiron Hot! News video clip with a taste of the proceedings:
- Shay & Ivy is hiring! (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Looking for an experienced busser/runner as well as a Maitre'D at Shay & Ivy, a thriving new restaurant in the Flatiron District. Bussers/runners -Barbacking experience a plus -Must be fluent in English **Please come in person for Open Call THIS […]
- Interior Design Job Captain (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Ware Malcomb is hiring an Interior Design Job Captain in our New York City office. The Interior Design Job Captain assists the Project Manager or Architect in the management of multiple interior architecture projects. Candidate must have: […]
- Environmental Graphic Designer (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Ware Malcomb is hiring an Environmental Graphic Designer in our New York City, NY office located in the Flat Iron district. Environmental Graphics Designers are responsible for designing and managing wayfinding, signage, informational display and en […]
- Interior Design Project Manager - Retail (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Ware Malcomb is hiring an Interior Design Project Manager, Retail in our New York City office! Project Managers manage the successful completion of multiple Interior Design projects while providing excellent client service and leadership and guidanc […]
- Cote a Fine Dining Restaurant is looking for AGM (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Cote, a fine dining restaurant in the Flatiron District is looking for an Assistant General Manager/ Events Coordinator to join the team. Requirements: - A minimum of 3+ years in fine dining - A minimum of 3 + years in a Management role - Impecca […]
- Fine Dining Restaurant is looking for General Manager (Flatiron) May 24, 2017New Fine Dining Restaurant in the Manhattan is looking for a General Manager to join the team. Requirements: - A minimum of 3+ years in fine dining - A minimum of 3 + years in a Management role - Impeccable Organizational Skills - Proficient in […]
- Server/Captain Extraordinaire is Wanted (Flatiron) May 24, 2017A Michelin Starred Restaurant Group is opening a new restaurant! This new restaurant will offer a high-energy, high-refinement, and HIGH-EXCITEMENT Guest experience in the Flatiron. We are seeking exceptional service professionals to join the Team. […]
- Summer Yoga Training - Work Exchange (Flatiron) May 24, 2017The services that yoga teachers provide are needed now more than ever! If you ever thought about teaching yoga or just wanted to deepen your practice, but could not find the time or the money, consider applying for our summer work study program at A […]