Jewish Boxers, James McDonald, Michael Walzer & More: Center for Jewish History Offers Great Cultural Events and Treasures for Flatiron & Chelsea
- Tod Shapiro
- On May 12, 2015
By Tod Shapiro and the Flatiron Hot! News Editorial Staff
Flatiron and Chelsea residents should check in at the wonderful local cultural resource that is the Center for Jewish History. Located on 16th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues, this amazing resource is the home of five world-class Jewish cultural organizations: American Jewish Historical Society, American Sephardi Federation, Leo Baeck Institute, Yeshiva University Museum and YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. This remarkable institution offers programs for the general public at reasonable prices, or sometimes, for free.
May saw four interesting offerings for area denizens which I had the privilege of attending. First, and still on view, is a fantastic exhibit called “Yiddish Fight Club” featuring Yiddish boxers and wrestlers, complete with photos and texts explaining the interplay of the unforgettable Yiddish vernacular as it co-existed with the larger-than-life series of brawny fighters that populated NYC life in the first half of the 20th century. Second was a fascinating round table discussion with five scholars concerning the notable James McDonald, who chaired a committee that recommended the settlement of European Holocaust survivors and Jewish refugees in Palestine at the end of World War II against all odds. Third, a discussion with the well-known left-wing scholar and intellectual Michael Walzer, who talked in stark terms about similarities in the early political development of Israel, Algeria, and India in the post-colonial era after World War II – soul food for the mind! And finally, just this past Wednesday, there was a compelling discussion of Nachman Libeskind’s life story as related by his daughter, Annette Libeskind Berkovits, in the form of a book “The Unlikeliest of Places” constructed upon his writings and life experiences as recorded by his family. Libeskind, an immigrant American artist of note, lived an incredible life and was the ultimate survivor – he lived through the Holocaust in his native Poland (where he grew up steeped in Yiddish and Polish Jewish culture), endured a forced flight and imprisonment in the Soviet Gulag in Siberia, an escape to a short but abortive sojourn in Israel, and then finally a successful career in New York as a trend-setting artist. Check out this sneak peak Flatiron Hot! News video clip.
- 200Hr Yoga Teacher Training - Work Exchange (Flatiron) July 21, 2017Are you looking for the flexibility to design the life that you want? We are now accepting applications for our 200Hr Teacher Training Program, at our studio located at 112 E 23rd Street Suite 200 between Park and Lexington Avenues. DATES: 4 week […]
- Seeking Housekeepers for NeueHouse Madison Square (Flatiron) July 21, 2017NeueHouse is hiring Housekeeping Attendants! About Our Company: NeueHouse is a private, membership-only, co-working space for entrepreneurial creatives. We combine the efficiency of an intelligently designed space with thoughtful service to create […]
- Beautiful fully equipped room for rent in Flatiron (Flatiron) July 21, 2017Hello all! I am looking for an esthetician/ massage therapist/ eyelash extension/ microblading/waxing technician to rent my newly renovated and fully decorated space in a Flatiron wellness center. The space is available for rent Sunday, Monday, Tues […]
- The NoMad - Receiver (Flatiron) July 21, 2017The NoMad , a casually elegant, Michelin-starred restaurant from Chef Daniel Humm and Will Guidara is looking for a Receiver to accept deliveries and maintain the kitchen's storage areas. The ideal candidate has a commitment to excellence and a desir […]
- Modern British Restaurant THE CLOCKTOWER is Hiring FOOD RUNNERS! (Flatiron) July 21, 2017The Clocktower, from Stephen Starr and Chef Jason Atherton , is now hiring Food Runners / Kitchen Servers! We seek FOOD RUNNER candidates with: 1+ years of Kitchen Server / Food Runner experience in a reputable, well-regarded NYC restaurant; Abili […]
- HAIRSTYLIST/COLORIST (Flatiron) July 21, 2017We are looking for a stylist colorist who is very experienced and has an artistic flair. Minimum 7 years experience. Must be a meticulous colorist with knowledge of the latest trends. Must have had training in Precision Cutting. We are looking for […]
- Jean-Georges restaurant ABC Kitchen seeking Experienced Floor Manager (Flatiron) July 21, 2017
- Truck Driver--CDL A or CDL B Licensed Drivers (Flatiron) July 21, 2017Liberty Moving and Storage is a family owned and operated relocation company that has experienced continual growth since our founding in 1939. We are the largest agent for United Van-Lines in the tri-state area. Our standards are high, which makes us […]