Jewish Themed Comedy and “Shmattes” (T-Shirts!) at the Center for Jewish History
- Tod Shapiro
- On March 4, 2016
Reported by the Flatiron Hot! News
The ever-fascinating Center for Jewish History recently unveiled two exhibits at the 16th Street facility that are well worth viewing if you have a few minutes of leisure time. The first, which can be seen in the Great Hall of the facility, features a series of Jewish-themed t-shirts (courtesy of the American Jewish Historical Society), or “Shmattes” that are sure to give you a smile, and get you thinking.
T-shirts include variants on Dr. Seuss and Jewish-themed plays-on-words. Some of it is cheeky and over-the-top humor, but well worth a quick perusal. On the third floor is a YIVO Institute exhibit entitled “Professional Jokers: Jewish Jesters from the Golden Age of Comedy,” which includes pop cultural artifacts featuring a long list of Jewish comedians, dating back to the Borscht Belt and the Golden Age of television – that would include Milton Berle, Jackie Mason, Jerry Lewis, Carol Burnett, Mel Brooks, and many others, represented by movie posters, LPs, board games, pictures, comic books, Playbills and just about everything else one can imagine, with some concise historical overview narrative placing it all in context. Check our our Flatiron Hot! News Quick Video for a taste, and get over to CJH on 16th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues for a personal look!
- Beautiful fully equipped room for rent in Flatiron (Flatiron) July 21, 2017Hello all! I am looking for an esthetician/ massage therapist/ eyelash extension/ microblading/waxing technician to rent my newly renovated and fully decorated space in a Flatiron wellness center. The space is available for rent Sunday, Monday, Tues […]
- The NoMad - Receiver (Flatiron) July 21, 2017The NoMad , a casually elegant, Michelin-starred restaurant from Chef Daniel Humm and Will Guidara is looking for a Receiver to accept deliveries and maintain the kitchen's storage areas. The ideal candidate has a commitment to excellence and a desir […]
- Modern British Restaurant THE CLOCKTOWER is Hiring FOOD RUNNERS! (Flatiron) July 21, 2017The Clocktower, from Stephen Starr and Chef Jason Atherton , is now hiring Food Runners / Kitchen Servers! We seek FOOD RUNNER candidates with: 1+ years of Kitchen Server / Food Runner experience in a reputable, well-regarded NYC restaurant; Abili […]
- HAIRSTYLIST/COLORIST (Flatiron) July 21, 2017We are looking for a stylist colorist who is very experienced and has an artistic flair. Minimum 7 years experience. Must be a meticulous colorist with knowledge of the latest trends. Must have had training in Precision Cutting. We are looking for […]
- Jean-Georges restaurant ABC Kitchen seeking Experienced Floor Manager (Flatiron) July 21, 2017
- Truck Driver--CDL A or CDL B Licensed Drivers (Flatiron) July 21, 2017Liberty Moving and Storage is a family owned and operated relocation company that has experienced continual growth since our founding in 1939. We are the largest agent for United Van-Lines in the tri-state area. Our standards are high, which makes us […]
- Host/Hostess For NY SUGARFISH by Sushi Nozawa and Cashier for KAZUNORI (Flatiron) July 20, 2017SUGARFISH by Sushi Nozawa and KAZUNORI The Original Handroll Bar are looking for friendly, energetic people for Front of House positions in our first location in NYC. You must have a positive attitude and work well in fast paced environments. We look […]
- CALLING ALL BACK-WAITERS!!!!! JOIN OUR COMMUNITY (Flatiron) July 20, 2017BACK WAITER - THE ASSEMBLAGE NOMAD Company Name: The Assemblage Location: 114 West 25th St Department: Food and Beverage Employment Type: Full- Time Job Title: Back Waiter Reporting structure: F&B Management WHO WE ARE The Assemblage is a col […]