Farm Heroes Super Saga Takes Over Madison Square Park – Hug Your Cropsies!
- Tod Shapiro
- On September 21, 2016
Reported by Tod Shapiro and Edited by the Flatiron Hot! News Editorial Staff
On my way to work on a splendid Wednesday morning, as I was enjoying the usual delights of Madison Square Park’s trees and flowers, I saw in the distance at the park’s south end near Shake Shack what appeared to be a giant green sphere split in two. From a distance, it looked like an invasion of the park by an unearthly green flying saucer! As I drew closer, it became apparent – the Madison Square Park Conservancy was running one of its special promotional events to support the park, and had given over the area for the roll-out of a new video game from King, the makers of Candy Crush, called “Farm Heroes Super Saga.” As this is the Flatiron District, the so-called “Silicon Alley” fulcrum, I guess it makes sense for video game companies to roll out their wares in our beloved park, as incongruous as it might seem. So, Farm Heroes Super Saga takes its place with several other over-the-top promotions that have focused on Flatiron and Chelsea as a staging ground to pitch the latest and greatest. Read all about it via King’s press release by clicking here.
The half-sphere was in fact a giant green apple, complete with leaves and stem, with the software development team encouraging passersby to come on in and “squeeze a cropsie!” – the round, colorful characters in the game – I think! The apple pavilion tent was decked out with giant renderings of the Farm Heroes amid signs and placards, including bales of hay and other farm-related visuals as part of what they refer to as an “Urban Orchard.” Intrigued, I lined up with my fellow park-goers and entered the apple, and was confronted with a real-life mock-up of what I presume to the the game’s make-believe farm world, with trees, “cropsies” and a light show and streaming video of the game on the wall and ceiling of the pavilion. The Farm Heroes staff was exhorting all visitors to “squeeze” giant Cropsies hanging from the faux trees, which somehow interacted with the video show in the tent, with Cropsies popping up on the screens with squeals of delight. Yes, it looks like great fun for kids or fans of Candy Crush, but left me somewhat bewildered! I exited the tent back into the park, to consider how far video games have come from the Asteroids and Space Invaders of my generation. To me, these Cropsies looked like descendants of Pac-Man’s roving munchers, although much cuter and in 3D. Definitely worth a visit for young gamers and, I suppose, lovers of Candy Crush. Nature lovers, you can skip this one!
The apple will be in the park on Wednesday and Thursday of this week and is open to the public ages 16+ from 12:30 PM until 8 PM on Wednesday and 11 AM to 8 PM Thursday; so if you’re inclined, stop by and experience the full power of Farm Heroes Super Saga. Use hashtag #HugACropsie and post your pix and videos, and become eligible for prizes and discounts. Or, as always, if you can’t make it, check out our Flatiron Hot! News quick video clip for a little bit of the “Farm Heroes” experience!
- Metropolitan Property Group is looking for agents! Make 150k per year! (Flatiron) July 22, 2017Metropolitan Property Group is a team of over 180 agents working with clients to rent, sell and buy the city's best apartments, co-ops and condos. We are one of the most aggressive brokerage houses in the city and are breaking company records. Curre […]
- 200Hr Yoga Teacher Training - Work Exchange (Flatiron) July 21, 2017Are you looking for the flexibility to design the life that you want? We are now accepting applications for our 200Hr Teacher Training Program, at our studio located at 112 E 23rd Street Suite 200 between Park and Lexington Avenues. DATES: 4 week […]
- Seeking Housekeepers for NeueHouse Madison Square (Flatiron) July 21, 2017NeueHouse is hiring Housekeeping Attendants! About Our Company: NeueHouse is a private, membership-only, co-working space for entrepreneurial creatives. We combine the efficiency of an intelligently designed space with thoughtful service to create […]
- Beautiful fully equipped room for rent in Flatiron (Flatiron) July 21, 2017Hello all! I am looking for an esthetician/ massage therapist/ eyelash extension/ microblading/waxing technician to rent my newly renovated and fully decorated space in a Flatiron wellness center. The space is available for rent Sunday, Monday, Tues […]
- The NoMad - Receiver (Flatiron) July 21, 2017The NoMad , a casually elegant, Michelin-starred restaurant from Chef Daniel Humm and Will Guidara is looking for a Receiver to accept deliveries and maintain the kitchen's storage areas. The ideal candidate has a commitment to excellence and a desir […]
- Modern British Restaurant THE CLOCKTOWER is Hiring FOOD RUNNERS! (Flatiron) July 21, 2017The Clocktower, from Stephen Starr and Chef Jason Atherton , is now hiring Food Runners / Kitchen Servers! We seek FOOD RUNNER candidates with: 1+ years of Kitchen Server / Food Runner experience in a reputable, well-regarded NYC restaurant; Abili […]
- HAIRSTYLIST/COLORIST (Flatiron) July 21, 2017We are looking for a stylist colorist who is very experienced and has an artistic flair. Minimum 7 years experience. Must be a meticulous colorist with knowledge of the latest trends. Must have had training in Precision Cutting. We are looking for […]
- Jean-Georges restaurant ABC Kitchen seeking Experienced Floor Manager (Flatiron) July 21, 2017