Farm Heroes Super Saga Takes Over Madison Square Park – Hug Your Cropsies!
- Tod Shapiro
- On September 21, 2016
Reported by Tod Shapiro and Edited by the Flatiron Hot! News Editorial Staff
On my way to work on a splendid Wednesday morning, as I was enjoying the usual delights of Madison Square Park’s trees and flowers, I saw in the distance at the park’s south end near Shake Shack what appeared to be a giant green sphere split in two. From a distance, it looked like an invasion of the park by an unearthly green flying saucer! As I drew closer, it became apparent – the Madison Square Park Conservancy was running one of its special promotional events to support the park, and had given over the area for the roll-out of a new video game from King, the makers of Candy Crush, called “Farm Heroes Super Saga.” As this is the Flatiron District, the so-called “Silicon Alley” fulcrum, I guess it makes sense for video game companies to roll out their wares in our beloved park, as incongruous as it might seem. So, Farm Heroes Super Saga takes its place with several other over-the-top promotions that have focused on Flatiron and Chelsea as a staging ground to pitch the latest and greatest. Read all about it via King’s press release by clicking here.
The half-sphere was in fact a giant green apple, complete with leaves and stem, with the software development team encouraging passersby to come on in and “squeeze a cropsie!” – the round, colorful characters in the game – I think! The apple pavilion tent was decked out with giant renderings of the Farm Heroes amid signs and placards, including bales of hay and other farm-related visuals as part of what they refer to as an “Urban Orchard.” Intrigued, I lined up with my fellow park-goers and entered the apple, and was confronted with a real-life mock-up of what I presume to the the game’s make-believe farm world, with trees, “cropsies” and a light show and streaming video of the game on the wall and ceiling of the pavilion. The Farm Heroes staff was exhorting all visitors to “squeeze” giant Cropsies hanging from the faux trees, which somehow interacted with the video show in the tent, with Cropsies popping up on the screens with squeals of delight. Yes, it looks like great fun for kids or fans of Candy Crush, but left me somewhat bewildered! I exited the tent back into the park, to consider how far video games have come from the Asteroids and Space Invaders of my generation. To me, these Cropsies looked like descendants of Pac-Man’s roving munchers, although much cuter and in 3D. Definitely worth a visit for young gamers and, I suppose, lovers of Candy Crush. Nature lovers, you can skip this one!
The apple will be in the park on Wednesday and Thursday of this week and is open to the public ages 16+ from 12:30 PM until 8 PM on Wednesday and 11 AM to 8 PM Thursday; so if you’re inclined, stop by and experience the full power of Farm Heroes Super Saga. Use hashtag #HugACropsie and post your pix and videos, and become eligible for prizes and discounts. Or, as always, if you can’t make it, check out our Flatiron Hot! News quick video clip for a little bit of the “Farm Heroes” experience!
- Assistant General Manager job at HIGH-GROWTH STARTUP (Flatiron) May 24, 2017To View this Job and Apply: Click Here One Liner: Headquarters as a service. Description: Knotel is a venture-backed startup that is changing the market for commercial real estate. Led by a team of veteran founders, Knotel designs for the ways comp […]
- OPEN CALL FOH/ BOH (Flatiron) May 24, 2017OPEN CALL - TODAY at 3:00PM 30 W. 26th Street, between 6th Ave. & Broadway HIRING: COOKS HOSTS SERVERS DELIVERY OPERATORS Fine dining or NYC hospitality experience required Full Availability (Nights and Weekends) Great Benefits and Pay Opportu […]
- Marta Seeks Sous Chef (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Executive Chef Joe Tarasco is looking for a talented and motivated sous chef. Our restaurant is inspired by the tradition of rustic Italian wood-fire cooking. The kitchen is equipped with two wood-burning pizza ovens and a 9-foot long, custom-built o […]
- Limpadores por medio tiempo Inmediatamente(212)-921-2364 (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Se busca trabajadores de limpieza imediatamente Para horas de dia y de noche Llama show contact info Por favor venga a la oficina para llenar la aplicación Busy Bee Cleaning Service de Lunes- Jueves 9am-3pm 1133 Broadway Suite 412 NY, NY 10001
- health coach/client care coordinator - chiropractic/nutrition office (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Summary: Supports nutrition practice by maintaining seamless support of our nutritional clients as soon as the "report of findings" has been created by doctor all the way through to the completion of their prescribed protocol. Assists in all aspects […]
- Haymaker Seeks Prep Cooks and Line Cooks (Flatiron) May 24, 2017Immediate openings for line cooks at Haymaker Bar and Kitchen, specializing in small plates and craft beer.We are currently expanding our menu and undergoing some exciting changes as a restaurant. This is a great opportunity for a cook who likes the […]
- OPEN CALL FOH/ BOH (Flatiron) May 23, 2017OPEN CALL - TOMORROW 05/23/2017 at 3:00PM 30 W. 26th Street, between 6th Ave. & Broadway HIRING: COOKS HOSTS SERVERS DELIVERY OPERATORS Fine dining or NYC hospitality experience required Full Availability (Nights and Weekends) Great Benefits a […]
- Developer Marketing Manager (Flatiron) May 23, 2017Insight is looking for a dynamic and driven Developer Marketing Manager to grow our developer community and, as our first full-time marketing hire, lead our engineering marketing efforts company-wide. As the Developer Marketing Manager, you will be […]