An Evening at the Center for Jewish History: The Jews and Classical Islam; Venice Ghetto Artifacts; Yiddish Cartoons
- Tod Shapiro
- On September 29, 2016
Reported by Tod Shapiro for the Flatiron Hot! News
I had a chance to spend this past Tuesday evening at the ever-fascinating Center for Jewish History on 16th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues, a short stroll from NYC Seminar Center’s offices, and again, it was well worth the time! Cornell University and CJH kicked off a brand new collaboration, with the Ivy League school’s Jewish Studies Department inaugurating what will be a series of Jewish history-themed lectures.
The lecture was a broad overview of the history of the Jewish people during the Middle Ages residing in the Islamic civilization that bordered Europe, the Middle East, and the Mediterranean, namely Iberia (Spain), Morocco, Egypt, Palestine, Turkey, the Maghreb, Iraq, Syria, etc. Professor Ross Brann of Cornell’s Jewish Studies Department offered insight into the profound impact that the Jews’ presence in the Islamic polity had on their development as a separate people and culture – their protected “dhimmi” status allowed them a degree of security and permanence that enabled them to benefit from the tremendous advances that the Islamic culture at that time enjoyed in the areas of commerce, math, science, poetry, and literature. Professor Brann made note of the impact of the adoption of Arabic by Jews as one of their languages of day-to-day life and commerce and scholarship, as many of the important Jewish texts were translated into Arabic at that time.
Afterwards, I had a chance to peruse several enlightening and entertaining exhibits. In the Center’s David Berg Rare Book Room, “The Venice Ghetto & Beyond ” explores the first Jewish ghetto, established in the Republic of Venice, as represented by a wonderful collection of documents and other artifacts from synagogues and other centers of Jewish life. Then there was a striking sculpture by Rachel Libeksind called “Holy Trash: My Genizah,” displaying the fate of “worn-out” holy books and scrolls (items that were literally worn out after use in Jewish rituals and shuls); and then finally, a whimsical and humorous display by YIVO called “Classic Yiddish Writers in Caricature,” featuring titans of Yiddish literature such as Sholem Aleichem and Y. L. Peretz, as represented in caricature, ably explained by reference to the authors’ literary works. Well worth a look. If you can’t make it there yourself, check out our Flaitron Hot! News quick video clip below!
- Host/Hostess For NY SUGARFISH by Sushi Nozawa and Cashier for KAZUNORI (Flatiron) July 20, 2017SUGARFISH by Sushi Nozawa and KAZUNORI The Original Handroll Bar are looking for friendly, energetic people for Front of House positions in our first location in NYC. You must have a positive attitude and work well in fast paced environments. We look […]
- CALLING ALL BACK-WAITERS!!!!! JOIN OUR COMMUNITY (Flatiron) July 20, 2017BACK WAITER - THE ASSEMBLAGE NOMAD Company Name: The Assemblage Location: 114 West 25th St Department: Food and Beverage Employment Type: Full- Time Job Title: Back Waiter Reporting structure: F&B Management WHO WE ARE The Assemblage is a col […]
- Calling All Barista Cashiers!!!!!!! (Flatiron) July 20, 2017BARISTA CASHIER - THE ASSEMBLAGE NOMAD Company Name: The Assemblage Location: 114 West 25th St Department: Food and Beverage Employment Type: Full- Time Job Title: Barista Cashier Reporting structure: Food and Beverage Management WHO WE ARE T […]
- Marta Seeks Assembly Cooks (Flatiron) July 20, 2017Executive Chef Joe Tarasco is looking for talented and motivated Assembly Cooks. This position starts at $14/hr in addition to a full benefits package. Assembly Cooks will be responsible for preparing and finishing ready-to-eat items for customers in […]
- Marta Seeks Line Cook (Flatiron) July 20, 2017Executive Chef Joe Tarasco is looking for talented and motivated Line Cooks. Our restaurant is inspired by the tradition of rustic Italian wood-fire cooking. The kitchen is equipped with two wood-burning pizza ovens and a 9-foot long, custom-built op […]
- Maialino/Marta Open Call Friday July 21st from 12PM to 2PM (Flatiron) July 20, 2017Maialino & Marta are hosting an OPEN CALL Tomorrow! We are looking for the following positions to join our growing family: Baristas (Previous Professional Experience Required; Counter Culture/Joe Coffee Training Preferred) Servers (Previous Serving […]
- Front Desk Sales/Guest Care & Salon Assistant Needed (2 positions) (Flatiron) July 20, 2017Upscale Hair Salon and Spa seeking a Front Desk Sale/Guest Care Associate and SALON ASSISTANT Front Desk Sales/Guest Care position available for a multi-service salon company. Must enjoy and excel at sales offerings, and have a charismatic, friendly […]
- Sales Coordinator - The Roger Hotel (Flatiron) July 20, 2017The Sales Coordinator's duty is to support the sales team's efforts to drive revenue into the hotel, by efficiently answering phones, taking inquiries, offering support with proposals and contracts, communicating with operations teams, and overall ma […]