Flatiron Hot! Pundit: Unqualified Praise of Castro Undermines the Credibility of the Progressive Left
- Eric Shapiro
- On November 27, 2016
The unqualified praise of Fidel Castro from some on the left risks undermining our moral authority (not to mention ideological consistency) at the worst possible moment. Fidel Castro, a repressive totalitarian dictator, habitually violated basic liberal and democratic principles to stay in power, at tremendous cost to the Cuban people in blood, treasure and freedom. It is one thing to recognize Castro’s place in history as a revolutionary icon who inspired many on the left to oppose imperialism; it is quite another to overlook the man’s atrocities and glorify him as a hero. Yet, a vocal minority on the left, including high-profile public figures like Bernie Sanders and Jill Stein, have had some kind words for Fidel.
It is especially ironic for leftists to praise Castro, a blatantly anti-democratic demagogue, even as they condemn Trump for his anti-democratic, demagogic behavior. Are Fidel Castro’s abuses forgivable just because he is a left-wing figure? Are Trump’s reprehensible words–it remains to be seen whether he will translate them into action – worse than the affronts against human rights and dignity that Castro actually perpetrated?
To be sure, Fidel Castro articulated a revolutionary message and enacted some policies favored by leftists, notably providing universal healthcare for the Cuban people. He also caused immeasurable human suffering through repressive governance that no progressive could support. He imprisoned countless Cubans without trial for speaking out against him and executed dissenters via firing squad. And for what? Castro did not even achieve ends that any honest person could claim justified the means, leaving Cuba mired in poverty all so he could say he stood up to America.
The left’s praise for a Castro, a man that embodies everything we claim to stand against, represents the worst kind of moral relativism, the misguided thinking that led some to praise Joseph Stalin even as he murdered millions of innocent people. On the subject of Russia, how can the left criticize Trump and the alt-right for praising the authoritarian Vladimir Putin, like Castro an authoritarian leader with no regard for human rights?
The answer is we can’t, at least not with any credibility. As leftists, democratic socialists, liberals, progressives – whatever we choose to call ourselves – we should live up to our own best principles. We should hold leaders and governments accountable for their actions regardless of whether we agree with their ideology. We should apply the same moral standards to all regimes, be they of the left or of the right. If anything, we should hold those claiming to act in accordance with our ideology to an even higher standard. Otherwise, we are as amoral as the conservatives who praise Putin and voted for Trump.
Reprinted by Special Arrangement and with the permission of Just Off Kilter Blog.
- Start Your Real Estate Career at one of Exit Realty's 46 Locations! (Flatiron) June 21, 2017Summer just started and the market is sizzling HOT!!! The phones won't stop ringing and the referrals just keep coming in! Exit Realty Corp. International's Flagship Manhattan office is hiring agents looking to take their career to the next level. […]
- Home Textile Co. Seeking a Junior pattern, product&packaging designer (Flatiron) June 21, 2017Home Textile Company Seeking a Junior pattern, product & packaging designer An excellent opportunity for a true professional! Responsibilities include: 1. Pattern design & development 2. Product design & development 3. Packaging desi […]
- Metropolitan Property Group is looking for agents! Make 150k per year! (Flatiron) June 21, 2017Metropolitan Property Group is a team of over 180 agents working with clients to rent, sell and buy the city's best apartments, co-ops and condos. We are one of the most aggressive brokerage houses in the city and are breaking company records. Curre […]
- UNI K WAX - RECEPTIONIST POSITION - 5TH AVE & 18TH ST (Flatiron) June 20, 2017UNI K WAX (Flatiron Center) is looking for: Front Desk Receptionist SCHEDULE: Monday 3:00pm to 9:00pm Tuesday 8:30am to 3:00pm Wednesday OFF Thursday 3:00pm to 9:00pm Friday 3:00pm to 9:00pm Saturday OFF Sunday OFF INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD O […]
- Sales Coordinator - The Roger Hotel (Flatiron) June 20, 2017The Sales Coordinator's duty is to support the sales team's efforts to drive revenue into the hotel, by efficiently answering phones, taking inquiries, offering support with proposals and contracts, communicating with operations teams, and overall ma […]
- Financial Data Internship (Flatiron) June 20, 2017Our firm is looking for a Full Time Financial Data Intern to join our research team for the summer. PrivCo provides business intelligence on privately owned companies and is regularly used by major institutional investors, Fortune 500 corporations, a […]
- Experienced Maitre D - Earn up to $22/hour (Flatiron) June 20, 2017Are you looking for a place where you can make a contribution? We provide the opportunity to make a difference in the dining experience of your guests. As a growing company, we are looking for individuals with a generosity of spirit who truly enjoy […]
- Looking for Runner !!! (Flatiron) June 20, 2017Are you looking for a place where you can make a contribution? We provide the opportunity to make a difference in the dining experience of your guests. As a growing company, we are looking for individuals with a generosity of spirit who truly enjoy […]